Wednesday, July 10, 2013

She Lights the Way




The New Colossus
(Emma Lazarus)

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,

With conquering limbs astride from land to land;

Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand

A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame

Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name

Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand

Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command

The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.

"Keep ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she

With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,

Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,

The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.

Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,

I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"


All of my life, I have wanted to see the Statue of Liberty in person.  I mean, I have seen her in the pictures of text books, on television and even from a distance while in the city, but I have never seen her.  Until yesterday...


She's beautiful.  I cried.  Sorry, but I could not help myself.  She is an amazing symbol of our nation. 


She watched with those mild eyes as countless immigrants (my family included) arrived at the "golden door" of freedom.  She lit the way to freedom for the tired, the poor, the huddled masses with her beacon in hand. 


She also watched over the horrific events that unfolded across the harbor on September 11, 2001 as the World Trade Center towers came down and our freedom was shaken.  She witnessed such loss and devastation that wretched day.

1 WTC (Freedom Tower)

Reflecting pool for 1 WTC at the 911 Memorial

Still, she stood firm for freedom on Liberty Island .  I like to imagine that mighty woman with a torch crying out with silent lips, "Give me your tired, your broken hearted, your huddled masses of emergency workers, terrified loved ones, displaced people, and exhausted survivors.  My lamp is still lit for you.  It still symbolizes world-wide welcome. I am the Mother of Exiles and harbinger of freedom."

Freedom that our ancestors, our family, our children, and hopefully our future generations are proud of and forever grateful for.  


God bless America!


Hugs, 

Melissa



No comments:

Post a Comment