Wednesday, June 22, 2011

DIY Liquid Handsoap

"Wash the fellowship off of your hands", is something that I often say to our monkeys.  After church, youth group, ballet, martial arts, science center outings, you name it.  It's a germy world out there and germs are not welcome here.

Since it seems as if you have to have a chemistry degree to decipher most of the ingredients on the back antibacterial liquid soaps, I decided to take matters into my own hands and make my own liquid soap.

Here is what it entails:

Take one foaming-type hand soap dispenser (mine were recycled).  Fill it 1/4 of the way with liquid castile soap (I buy mine at the Vitamin Shop or Whole Foods), add 3-4 drops of essential oil (lavender or lemon grass), and fill the dispenser the rest of the way with filtered water.

One dispenser full of this soap lasts a little over a week in our high traffic bathrooms.  It costs pennies to make each batch.  It is necessary to use a foaming-type dispenser because the liquid soap is very thin and can be easily wasted in a regular type of dispenser. 

I love this hand soap because it is economical, non-toxic, effective and easy to make.

My monkeys love it because it is foamy and it smells great.

Hugs,

Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment