Thursday, March 3, 2011

Eating the Alphabet - Letter "C"





At the homestead here, we are eating our way through the alphabet. Today, we are talking about the Letter "C".

And while, Cookie Monster may sing, " "C" is for cookie, that's good enough for me!" And I would gladly sing along with him and wholeheartedly agree that I would love to be able to eat cookies night and day, especially, gorgeously, gooey chocolate chip cookies.  I know that this would make me an unfit mother, unable to fit into anything but a circus tent that is.

So, no, "C" is not for cookie.  But it is for coconut!  I'm cuckoo for coconut. Coconut milk in smoothies, coconut flour as a substitute for wheat in my pancakes.  And most importantly, coconut oil.


Oh, how I love coconut oil.  And I want to sing its praises.  This oil has so many uses.  From skin care to sauteing. It is very versatile.

And I love using it in the raw almond pie crust that I make.  Here is the recipe, which is actually a compilation of several recipes and has been tweaked in my kitchen a few times.


Blend together 2 tablespoons of coconut oil, with 1/4 cup agave or honey, 1/4 cup chocolate chips, 1 teaspoon vanilla and a dash or cinnamon with 2 cups of soaked almonds.


Mmm...chocolate, coconut, almonds...it's like one gigantic Almond Joy glob of goodness.

Spread the "crust" into a cake pan.


The filling I choose for this raw pie was pumpkin. I know that it is a little off season, but it just sounded good.  A berry filling would work too.  Or a chocolate filling, or a coconut creme filling...the possibilities and my appetite are endless.

To make the raw pumpkin filling, I pieced together some recipes and turned some spices up and others down. Here it is:

Blend together one can of pumpkin puree (16 oz),  6 pitted dates (pre-soaked in water to soften), 1/2 cup cashews, 1/3 cup agave or honey, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon cloves, and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg.



Spread the pumpkin filling over the crust.  Chill in the freezer for one hour and serve.

I had a slice, or two, or maybe three this morning for breakfast. It's very nice.

Enjoy,

Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment