Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Magnolia Wreath - A Two Second Tutorial

I love Magnolia trees.  They are a true Southern delight.

We have a Magnolia tree in our yard.  It is always giving to us. Its large ivory blossoms are stunning in the spring and summer.  I cut them and put them in vases around the house. They are so fragrant!

The leaves of the Magnolia have long been utilized to make Christmas wreaths and garland.  I have always wanted to purchase one for my front door, but they seem to be quite costly.

So this year, I had an epiphany, and decided to make a Magnolia wreath.  Here is how I did it:

I had my big strapping son cut some bottom branches off of our Magnolia tree:


I used an 18 inch wreath form.


I hot glued the leaves onto the wreath.  The trick was to work in small sections and I used a heavy mug to hold the leaves in place until they had a chance to adhere to the wreath.


Here is the outer layer all dried and ready.


For the inner circle, I tilted the leaves slightly and worked in small sections gluing and pressing.


It took me about 30 minutes to complete one wreath.  Not to shabby for a beginner. 


And here is the finished product all dressed up with a red ribbon.  Isn't is pretty?


I used the extra branches to make a garland for the top of the hutch.  


Hugs,

Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment