Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Florida, I Never Knew You Were So Winey!

I am not a big wine drinker.  Maybe, sometimes, every once in a blue moon I will have a glass of wine at a special event.  It kinda just gives me a bloaty, headachy feeling.

Recently, though I tried something that I did not even know existed.  Florida citrus wine!  Oh, Florida, you just never cease to amaze me!


Pete and I were strolling around downtown Melbourne a few weeks ago, when we happened upon the East Coast Winery.  When we saw the sign outside advertising citrus and berry wines, curiosity got the best of us and we had to go inside.  The owner greeted us and answered all of our questions about her unique selection of wines.


Did you know that there are chili wines, mango wines and Orange Blossom honey wines?  I swear, that honey wine tasted exactly like the way Orange Blossoms smell.  So intoxicating (the smell, not the wine)!  The Key Lime Wine was like drinking a bite of real key lime pie. Tart, tangy and ever-so-slightly sweet. 


I LOVE that these wines are made here in Florida.  And, I have to say that this was a very cool find for us because we have many family members that live out of the state.  How fun would it be to send the Cheese Heads up north a bit of Florida cheer during those loooooooooong winter months?

Plus, this year Florida celebrates its 500th birthday!  Woo Hoo!!! I can't think of a better way to toast our beloved, quirky, slightly awkward state than with a glass of citrus wine crafted right here in the Sunshine State.


You can check out these unique wines at East Coast Winery.  Or on Facebook here.

Hugs,

Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment