Thursday, July 18, 2013

Divine

There is a stunning cathedral, Saint John the Divine,  just down the street from where we are staying.  We can see it as we walk west.  Yesterday, the sun was setting behind the church and the dome was aglow.


Earlier in the day, the girls and I had gone to Saint John's to listen to a children's choir from Valencia, Spain.  Their angelic voices resounded in the mammoth main hall of the church, swelling higher and higher up, up to the tippy top of the domes, caressing the arches and our ears. Such a treat!



After their stunning performance, we had some time to explore the massive basilica with its seven separate chapels.  I may have taken quite a few pictures, but I just could not help myself.  Oh, and I am a sucker for stained glass, so be prepared. 












This is my favorite window in the whole church, the picture does not come even close to capturing its beauty.  The one on the website is much better.  If I had to have a license to use a camera, I wouldn't be using a camera. I stink at taking photos.





 I also LOVE doors.  Especially ornately carved ones with super amazing handles.


 Arches, and buttresses and domes, oh my!




This picture below is my favorite. It reminds me of Lite Bright.


The cathedral is of the Gothic Revival style and construction was first started on it waaaaaaaay back in 1892.  It is the largest Gothic Revival Cathedral in the world. The Statue of Liberty could stand comfortably inside the Central dome.  Guess what?  It is still under construction!  Sadly, a fire destroyed a large portion of the east wing of the church.

We are discovering something new every day here.  This was one of my favorite little massive finds.

Hugs,

Melissa


No comments:

Post a Comment