Wednesday, January 12, 2011

My Quest for Skinny Jeans - Fight the Fluff!

I feel like you should know some things about me:

I'm a lover not a fighter.

I'm an eater not a dieter.

I'm a loafer not an exerciser.

I'm a mother not a model. And I've got lots of "Mom jeans" in my closet to prove it.



 

Let's just say that I am a little on the "fluffy" side.  I like to think of my extra weight as "baby fluff".  It makes it sound so much cuter than it is.  

The reality is that I could stand to lose a few pounds.  Twenty to be exact.  But whose counting?  The only thing I like to count is how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll Pop.

There are days when my fluffiness doesn't bother me much.  After all, I have carried and birthed more than a few children.  Extra fluff is to be expected.  But, there are other days when I just want to break free from the blubber, loose the love handles, and trade in my "Mom jeans" for some skinny jeans. 

So, I have decided to fight the fluff.  I am not talking about going on a diet.  Oh no, no, no!  Diets and I are not compatible.  I like food.  Period.

What I am talking about is changing the way that I eat.  Everybody is different, and every body is unique.  I know that when I have added sugar in my diet, my weight goes up.  Wheat is a real weight adder for me too.  So, if I want to lose the fluff, I have to lose the sugar and wheat.  I did this last year, and I lost 13 unneeded pounds. 

There are many other factors that will help me on my quest.  Exercise, eating good fats, the timing of meals, portion size, and staying hydrated are just a few tools in my belt.  I will be posting about these factors in the days and weeks to come.

Being accountable and having support are two HUGE helpers.  So, that's where you all come in.  Would you like to join me on my quest for skinny jeans?  Better yet, can I join you on your quest for skinny jeans?  We could be a team.  We could fight the fluff together.  What do you say?

Here is my starting point:


This is what I weighed on Sunday, January 9, 2011

My goal is to lose 20 pounds by the end of this May.  That would mean that I would lose 1 pound per week.  According to my doctor, this is a healthy goal.

A pound of fat fluff contains approximately 3500 calories.  So, I would need to cut 500 calories per day out of my diet.  Some serious exercise could take care of 250 of those calories.  I like burst training (more on that later).  The other 250 calories could be eliminated by making some food trades.  Instead of opting for those fries tonight, I am going to have a salad with oil and vinegar.

All of this sounds so daunting as I type it, and it could be if I let it.  However, I am going into this fight with a realistic outlook.  I know that I am going to need one day per week when I can give myself some grace.  One day, set aside to eat those french fries if I want them.  One day, that I can be lazy and not exercise at all. And I feel good about this plan of attack.  Let the quest begin!

Fluffily yours, 

Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment