Friday, January 28, 2011

My Quest for Skinny Jeans - A Standoff!

This week there has been a standoff going on between me and my scale.  The lines are drawn in the sand, the guns are drawn, we are fifty paces back-to-back, and the theme song to the movie "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" is playing. 

My weight has held steady for over a week now, no matter how hard I have worked.  I have even said things like, "Go ahead, make my day!" to the scale to no avail. 



Maintaining a consistent weight like this when you are trying to lose weight is known as "plateauing".  Plateauing might be super if you are climbing a mountain, but it is not so super when you are removing a mountain of fluff from your body.

So, what to do?  Well, I am going to keep right on going.  I am going to push through this plateau.  I am going to focus on how energized I feel since I have eliminated wheat and sugar.  That is a victory!

I am going to keep exercising and eating healthy.  

What will I eat?  Well, the same stuff that I have been eating.  Which by the way, I would love to share with you.

Today, let's focus on breakfast, shall we?


I usually start my day with a smoothie.  It is easy and efficient and my monkeys always want to share it with me, so I know that they are getting some fruits and veggies into their bodies. 


I like to put two large handfuls of greens in my smoothie.  It can be kale, spinach, collards, or yum...the tangerine microgreens in the photo above.  Even monkeys like those.


Then I throw in a handful of frozen berries, a banana and some unsweetened almond milk into the blender with the greens.


See, they are having a party. Hey, keep it down in there!


Oh yes, some blueberries make a lovely addition to the party.  They are great conversationalists.

Once everyone is in the blender, press blend, and a smoothie is born.


This is a great way to start your day.  And it is surprisingly sweet without any added sugar.

The smoothie fills me up for about two hours and then I have a mid-morning snack.  This snack can be anything from a handful of pecans and a Granny Smith apple to a slice of cheese and some carrots. 

We can talk about lunch next time.  For now though, I want to encourage anyone who is on this quest with me to keep going.  It is not easy, but it is worth it.

And if you are in a standoff with your scale right now, keep those guns drawn, dig those boot heels into the sand and ask that scale, "Do you feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?"

Plateaus are for sissies and mountain climbers,

Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment