Friday, January 21, 2011

My Quest for Skinny Jeans - I Drink Salsa with a Straw!

Well, not really.  However, I would if I could.  Because I LOVE salsa.

But, since I am a big pain in the tush, and I loathe onions, I make my own salsa without the dreaded beasts in it.

And if Music Man eats onions, he knows that I will not kiss him for 24 hours or until the odor has vanished from his breath. 

Today, I will share with you my onion-less salsa recipe, and the world will be a better place for humanity and Music Man. 

Disclaimer:

Please do not panic as I share this recipe with you.

I cook for an army, so there are no frills here, baby.

I am the world's worst measurer (Is this even a word?). Which essentially means that I am lazy, and that I like to "eyeball" my ingredients.

I enjoy better living through kitchen gadgets. They are my friends.

I have been know to burn, char or otherwise destroy a few food items in my life.  (The monkeys know that dinner is ready when the fire alarm goes off.)

Please proceed at your own risk.




To make onion-less salsa you will need:

One large can of peeled tomatoes

2 medium cans of diced tomatoes with diced green chilis

1 lime

Cilantro

1 Tablespoon of cumin

1/2 cup of sugar (I use Agave)

6 cloves of garlic

1 small can of chopped jalapenos or a few fresh ones with the seeds removed.

Throw everything in the blender or food processor. 

Push puree. 

And you've got salsa!

Serve that sassy stuff up with some corn tortilla chips, or my personal favorite, sliced bell peppers, and you are in business. 



Of course, feel free to dial down the heat by adding less jalapenos. 

And, if you really must have onions in your salsa, then by all means ruin a perfectly good recipe and add the beasts.

But, I will not be kissing you anytime soon.

Enjoy,

Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment