Monday, April 29, 2013

From Uterus to University - Love Languages

Today's post is brought to you by the seat of my pants, the skin of my teeth, or any other strange phrase  (remember this post on strange phrases ?) you want to insert in here that means - I'm throwing this post together because life is crazy busy today and I have to cook dinner and be out the door in 90 minutes. Okay, here goes.  

Do you know your love language?  No, I'm not talking about some long forgotten phrase from Madame Smith's 10th grade French class.  I'm asking you what makes you feel loved?  What makes your kids feel loved?

Everyone has a love language, or two.  I could not make this up if I tried.  I read about this years ago in an insightful book by Gary Chapman titled The Five Love Languages.  It really got me thinking and wondering about what makes me feel loved and how do I show love to others.

In a nutshell, the 5 love languages are listed below with a link to an explanation of each:

1.  Physical touch
2.  Words of affirmation
3. Acts of service
4. Gifts 
5. Quality time

I definitely feel loved when Pete or the kids want to spend quality time with me.  Also, when any of the monkeys or their monkey daddy sweep the floor or clean a toilet, I feel loved.  That is an example of acts of service.

Our monkeys all have a special love language as well.  Little Monkey enjoys quality time, like me. Youngest Monkey Girl loves physical touch.  Middle Monkey Girl craves words of affirmation. Our oldest three monkeys all love words of affirmation and acts of service.

So, friends do you want to learn more about your love language?  Here is a 60 second quiz for you to take. Also, one for your kids.

And just for some extra fluff, Oprah's love languages:


Is it strange that a clean toilet makes me feel loved? Don't answer that, you haven't seen my toilets when they are dirty.  Thankfully. 

Hugs, 

Melissa 

No comments:

Post a Comment