Sunday, December 5, 2010

Twas Very Early This Morning - A Poem

Twas very early this morning (emphasis on the very early), I was nestled all snug in my bed,

With visions of sugar plums dancing through my head.

(Did you know that sugar plums keep you regular?  I'm just saying.) 

When out on our lawn there arose such a clatter,

I sprang from my bed to see what was the matter.

(Well, not really, because it was just too early and I was just too comfy.  And if Santa and his reindeer ever decide to come at such an awful hour of the morning, they could at least have the common decency to keep down the noise.  I mean really).

Away to my window I flew like a flash,

Tore open the shutter, and threw up the sash (and broke a nail in the process, dang it all!).

When, what to my wondering eyes should appear,

But two Sandhill Cranes, oh those little dears.

And I opened the shutters and gave out a cheer,

"Keep it down out there you bird brains,

Some people are trying to get some sleep around here!"




Sand Hill Cranes are residents in our neighborhood.  They are a threatened species, so I think that it is great that they have chosen to live in our neck of the woods.  These birds are majestic and beautiful.  The noise that they make has been referred to as "The Call of the Wild".  It sounds like a bugling or trumpeting and boy, is it loud.  Just another reason why I love Florida.  The nature going on around here is outrageous!

Sleepless in the Sunshine State,

Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment